Saturday, February 25, 2006

Bits and Pieces

In case you haven't noticed, Larissa has an evil, teasing side. And it's showing.

It's been one of those drizzly, nasty days here. No renovation work going on. Spent the day hanging out with a friend -- went to the bookfair, where it was BOGO. What fun! Both Monsters got books (Monster #2 is sick -- he perked up some over his non-fiction selections).

Then I spent the afternoon camped on the couch, reading Stephen King's new release Cell. Now, we all know I think ol' Stephen is the master writer, and I enjoyed the read (well, obviously -- I mean, I read the whole thing in one sitting).

But.

I adored The Stand. I'm of the opinion that novel is one of his finest. And all while I was reading Cell, I kept feeling like I was reading the short version of The Stand, with the cellphone-induced Pulse taking the place of the Superflu, and the Raggedy Man standing in for, um, evil-leader-guy-whose-name-I-can't-remember from The Stand. There were other parallels and if I'd been able to shake those while reading, I'd have enjoyed the book more. I'm not crazy about reader deja vu.

Now I have Ann Rinaldi's novelization about the Salem Witch Trials to read. As I'm fascinated with that event in American history (and just finished teaching The Crucible), I'm looking forward to that, too.

Oh, and it's seven weeks until spring break.

If anyone besides me is counting. ;-)

No comments: