Wednesday, December 20, 2006

From My Inbox, From MC

I have absolutely fabulous friends, for which I am truly thankful. MC somehow manages to ground me with the simplest observations. It's mind-blowing. Like the day I was griping about money (I have discovered I have major issues in terms of money ideas, LOL), and she said simply, "I have money, but I can't call my mother anymore."

Shut me up very quickly with the beautiful wisdom of that statement.

She sends me wonderful words from her "word of the day" list and passes on interesting links and tidbits and inspires me with her passion for getting kids to learn. She wows me with her passion for life.

Anyway, this was in my inbox this morning from MC, and I thought I'd share here:

A mass of Latin words falls upon the facts like soft snow, blurring theoutline and covering up all the details. The great enemy of clear language is insincerity. When there is a gap between one's real and one's declared aims, one turns as it were instinctively to long words and exhaustedidioms, like a cuttlefish spurting out ink. In our age there is no suchthing as "keeping out of politics". All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. When the general atmosphere is bad, language must suffer.

-George Orwell, writer (1903-1950)


No comments: