Saturday, May 06, 2006

Review -- Sweet Mercy, Jean Brashear

A week or so ago, I went looking for Amy Knupp's Superromance. I didn't find it, but I did find Sweet Mercy by Jean Brashear, also a Superromance release. I'd seen an ad for it in a magazine while waiting for my Monster's to get trimmed, and I'd been intrigued, wondering if the ad campaign increased sales.

Anyway, I picked the book up, read the blurb, paged through, and ended up taking it home with me. With a heroine named Jezebel and a hero named Gamble, how could I resist?

Once I started, I couldn't stop reading, either. Jezebel and Gamble both have troubled backgrounds -- she was orphaned at an early age and grew up on the streets; he lost a beloved wife and his unborn child. All she wants is a place to call home. All Gamble wants is to forget the home he made for a family gone forever.

Brashear does a fabulous job of painting a pair destined for one another. Gamble is my kind of hero -- a tortured soul. Jezebel is a strong woman, a positive woman, who doesn't back down from a challenge, which Gamble certainly is at times. I'm not giving away more of the plot, but the emotion and need is palpable and the attraction between the two sizzles. It's a story of home and healing, and I strongly recommend you find a copy soon!

No comments: