Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Just Wondering . . .

Actually, I'm being nosy, but how much money do you spend on books per month, average? I have to admit the dollar amount I spend is probably low. I tend to utilize the library a lot (hey, I'm poor, okay? My growing Monsters eat gargantuan amounts of groceries!).

But recently I've discovered some people spend a lot of money on books.

Like hundreds of dollars a month. Even before I had children, I might spend a fifty to sixty dollars a month on books. Now, I'm doing good if I get to buy 1-2 books a month (again, I read more than that . . . but I have to borrow right now).

Did you get that? Hundreds of dollars.

I so want to be able to do that. Can you imagine?

While I'm wishing, I really want a masters in English. I know, I know, I need one in education. But I want one in English. Or even better, I'd love to be able to take a year's sabbatical and do an MFA in creative writing. (Yes, Wayne, I know . . . I could go to Oxford. Scroll back and look at that line about the Monsters eating gargantuan amounts of food. I have to clothe them and send them to college in a few years. No Oxford for me!)

Oh, and being here would be nice:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I'm grading poetry anthologies, with the fabulous array of American poetry my kids find every year, and it tends to make me wistful for something I can't name. I know what I write has value . . . I believe all written work has value. But there's something ephemeral that I want, that I think might always be out of my grasp, and I see it in the poetry of Frost and Angelou and Collins and Ginsberg and Olds and countless others . . .

I don't see it in my work, not yet, and I'm afraid I won't ever see it there.

But it's something to think about.

Something to wonder about.

And something to work toward.

1 comment:

Elisabeth Naughton said...

$100? Wow. My hubby would kill me.

I've never tallied it. I'd say maybe $20...but those are only the months where I know I'm looking for something specifically.

Hope your teacher hell is getting better. Man, I just don't even miss all that. ;)