Saturday, June 16, 2007

Snippets

Monster #2, upon calling his grandma and learning she still isn't home: "Man! Grandma's still at Uncle Buck's. Why?"

Me: "Because Uncle Buck is Grandma's brother and his wife passed away. If you were grown up and Monster #1's wife died, where would you be?"

Monster #2: "At Monster #1's house."

Me: "Why?"

Monster #2 thinks a moment. I'm expecting to hear something like "because he's my brother and I love him."

Monster #2, throwing up his hands: "I don't know. I'm not a big person yet."

***

Question -- What are the funeral traditions and rules of etiquette where you live? I'm genuinely curious. The "what's expected" is pretty strong here -- there are ways of doing things and ways you just don't do.

1 comment:

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Ah, what a cutie.

So explain what's expected in the south. I'm curious.

Out on the west coast we're pretty laid back - funerals and all. People don't necessarily wear black. Most, in fact, don't, not even immediate family. The last few funerals I've been to (and all have been for fairly young peole) have been a short service, then a reception, usually held at the church. Food, conversation, etc.