I could probably list more than thirteen -- my kids picked great topics this year. But here are thirteen, from the 100+ I'll read between February and April that I'm particularly looking forward to . . .
1) Comparative politics -- The kid whose writing this one is a great writer and has a nice, comedic tone. It will be a hoot.
2) The existence of ghosts -- Again, a good writer willing to look at both sides of the issue. His level of excitement over this topic will make it an interesting read.
3) Archery -- The kid writing it is a hoot. I've already seen part of it and even in rough form, it's great.
4) Abortion -- A topic I see every year. It gets old. But the student writing this one is doing great research and it'll be interesting to see what she comes up with.
5) Global warming -- two papers. Two kids. Two very different takes. Should be interesting.
6) Cryptozoology -- I've never seen this topic done before. The kid writing it is smart, funny, a good writer. It'll be a good one.
7) Photography -- I bet I can take better photos after reading this one. ;-)
8) Geishas -- Great writer with a topic she's passionate about. Can't wait.
9) The Columbine shootings -- I've not seen this topic before either. The kid writing this one is doing great research. It'll be good.
10) The Dave Matthews Band -- 'nuff said. :-D
11) Spirituality -- a really, really strongly opinionated writer. Should be interesting.
12) Heavy Metal Music -- I'll learn something I didn't know from reading it. Guaranteed.
13) Comparative Religions -- She's taking a neat angle with this paper. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
What was your most interesting high school writing assignment?